Those who can, do.
Those who can do more, volunteer!
We are extremely proud our hospice volunteers and their willingness to support those in need, as they make a real difference in the lives of our patients and their families. Some of our volunteers provide companionship to patients and their families, including running errands, reading to patients or delivering medications. Other volunteers support hospice by handling administrative duties for our hospice staff.
We also offer a unique teen volunteer experience that’s sensitive to a teen’s busy schedule and the need for flexibility. It’s the perfect opportunity for teens to give back to the community, fulfill high school community service requirements and stand out from the crowd on college applications.
No matter why you choose to volunteer for Hospice of Southwest Ohio, we know you’ll develop a love for those who need a sweet smile, a warm hug, and someone to simply listen.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Support for patients: Visiting, reading, taking walks, writing letters, bringing in music, supervising visits with pets and other activities.
- Life disk: Help patients recall and record their precious memories. Hospice of Southwest Ohio supplies a digital recorder and questions to use in conversations with patients and loved ones.
- Respite and support for family members: Assisting with shopping, household maintenance and staying with the patient to allow family caregivers to leave.
- Bereavement support: Helping with mailings and phone calls.
- Administrative work: Helping the office with simple clerical duties.
Volunteer time commitments are arranged on an individual basis. You can volunteer as much or as little as you like.
If you’d like to join us, please submit an application below.
To Volunteer with Hospice of Southwest Ohio:
- Hospice of Southwest Ohio Esteemed Volunteers must pass a background check, drug screen and two-step tuberculosis test (two-step TB test) that is paid for by Hospice of Southwest Ohio.
- You must complete a comprehensive training program provided by Hospice of Southwest Ohio staff.
- You must be at least 16 years of age.
- We ask that you wait 12 months after experiencing the loss of a loved one before considering becoming a Hospice of Southwest Ohio volunteer.
For details on volunteering, please call 513.528.8144